Surf Guide Hossegor
The Surf Guide Hossegor theme has been flooded in recent years with new schools and guides. Don’t waste your time looking for the best waves, we are the best surf guides in Hossegor. Everyone has done it, arrived on a surf trip and hoped that judgement will take you to the best spots for that day. Our local surf guide has been surfing this area for over 40 years. Our focus is on the surfer having the best surf holiday possible whether its being guided or doing lessons. Every surfer has different plans and ideas for their surf trips, some dream of the dredging sand filled pits like La Gravier, that Hossegor is so famous for(left & below), and some want empty long mellow waves off the beaten track.When you book our surf guide Hossegor is definitely not the only place to surf. Below we have a list of the relatively well know waves from the Northern beaches all the way down to Spain. If you want to do it yourself here is an in depth guide of all the waves in the Hossegor area, Spot Guide of Hossegor
Areas covered :surf guide hossegor
The area covered stretches right down from the northern beaches of Les Landes to the reefs of the Basque country. If the swell is going to be huge then we can negotiate a price to take you and your friends all the way to the world famous break of Mundaka in Spain.
The Northern beaches:
The further North you go from Hossegor the thinner the crowds get. This has always been the tradition, however more people are starting to venture out of the crowds in the Hossegor area on their search for uncrowded waves. This has , over the last few years, pushed the volume up on the more well known northern beaches such as Messanges. The mistake that most make is thinking that the quality of the surf is less when you step out of Hossegor. In fact the world class waves are the same , you just need to know where they are and how the sand banks look at that moment in time. With the promise of less crowded waves places, like Messanges and Moliets sound appealing , but in reality they are sometimes more crowded as a result. Surf guides Hossegor tend to do the easy thing and point surfers to great ,but crowded waves. The fact is that we will take you as far as we have to to find the least crowded , top quality waves for the level required.
- La Lette is a super hidden spot just north of Moliets. Its where the forest meets the beach.
- Moliets is one of the great northern beaches that always seems to have good waves. Its very big and easy to find an uncrowded wave.
- Messanges is heading south and depending on the sand banks can be real good. A short walk from the carpark.
- Vieux Boucau is another hidden gem of the north with consistently good banks.
Hossegor area :
Hossegor is on every surfers lips when heading this way. Its true that it hosts some of the best waves on the planet. Unfortunately you need to know where to be and when to not be to avoid the crowds, but we can do that for you.
- Les Casernes is off the beaten track of Hossegor. Its a few mins north and is a 10 min walk from the car park
- Le Penon in Seignosse is always good but crowded
- Les Bourdaines is getting into superstar surfing area . always good but always crowded
- Les Estagnots is next to Bourdianes and the center of Hossegor famous waves. Good but crowded
- La Gravier is the best wave in Europe and one of the best in the world. Hold ya hat on and prepare for a flogging if you not an expert. A great wave to watch from the beach.
- Plage central Hossegor. Only works on a massive swell and is busy and unforgiving
- La Sud is a friendly learner wave , but always busy.
- Capbreton plages are great for beginners but crowded.
- Santosha, the legend ! Always barreling and crowded
- VVF is just epic all the time. Barrels all day every day. Crowded but many peaks
Generally we head south when the swell is too big. We stop first at Labenne and will go all the way to the Basque country reefs of Guethary.
- Anglet is a super pretty little spot. One of Slaters favorites are here, Cavaliers.
- Labenne is a fully gnarly spot with many different spots. Less crowds , but localized.
- Biarritz is always good fun , mellow waves for the less confident. Hell crowded.
- Guethary is not for the faint hearted. A big wave reefhalf a kilometer out.
- Lafetania is in the shot below. Really long right hand point break, but crowded.
- Hendaye is the last beach in France. Great for beginners.
We can do it in a day. There are a lot of real good fun waves including of course the left at Mundaka. Plenty of swell needed for Spain, and its also a full day trip.
Do i have to be an expert to have a surf guide in Hossegor ?
Absolutely not. Surf guiding is exactly that. Its a question of what type of waves you want to surf. We do ask that you have passed the very elementary stages and you need to be able to stand up.
- Improvers : we can guide you to a mellow wave without hundreds of people.
- For the more advanced : tell us what kind of waves you want to surf and we will guide you to a spot with the quality waves , but without crowds.
- Big wave chargers : If you charge but havent been here before or dont know the Spanish spots , we will guide you to the spots and explain where to and how to get outback.
You are on a surf trip, so treat yourself and take advantage of Troys 30 years of local knowledge and over 40 years of surfing and ocean knowledge. Find the best waves for the day or your entire surf trip, like this nice 10 foot right hand point!
Surf Guide Hossegor – Here’s how it works
- Dont waste valuable time looking for best waves – get local knowledge
- Hire for half day (3 hours) or full day (6 hours)
- Up to 4 people, transport provided
- Full day includes Basque country reefs and big wave spots : 90 k’s covered
- Half day includes Vielle-Saint Girons to Labenne Ocean : 61 k’s of best French coast covered
- Give us a call, tell us what you are looking for , and ….. lets go surf it